Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Pi Day!

Every March, there is the math nerd's dream holiday: March 14 = 3.14 = circumference/diameter = π = pi = an excuse to celebrate. There was an apartment in my complex who was having a pi party and asked if I would be able to make a pie. I was excited to try since I had never made a pie before. I ended up making three different pies: sweet potato pie, chocolate tart with a ganache and fresh raspberries, and a Tarte Alsacienne, a caramelized apple pie with a custard. The latter two recipes I got from a friend I met in the MTC who's a gourmet pastry chef in California and has even been on TV before (Thanks Sara!). My favorite was the Chocolate Tart. Hope you fellow math nerds out there will be able to celebrate with me next year in approximately 362 days 1 hour and 43 minutes... (sometimes I wonder why I don't have glasses)

Chocolate Tart

Tarte Alsacienne

9 comments:

Jolene said...

The pie's look really yummy. Can you share the recipes?

Jenn said...

Yummy! Will you make me a pie sometime? I'm jealous you're such a great cook!

Anonymous said...

Boy - I am so proud of you! Those look great. Hey, I need you to make me pie too. So, next time I visit just go ahead and plan on it.

Pat said...

These were yummy. I didn't get to tast the apple, but the others were good.

Amy D. said...

You are quite the cook!

Julie said...

You are amazing! Those pies look amazing.

Rachel Leigh said...

So i am thinking that you should teach me how to bake. I am pretty horrible! Your pies look so yummy!

Heather said...

good thing we have a family recipe blog to share such yummy recipes. let me know if you can't post to it, and I'll add you as admin. We'd love these recipes if you can share!!

Heather said...

oh - my email is happyfam@gmail.com if you need to be added.